Hydroponics is a trendy way of growing plants without using soil. Yes, that’s right! You can now grow your own fruits and vegetables at home even if you don’t have the space capacity at home.
This new system helps you to grow your own food inside your home. The Hydroponic Systems runs on the technology of using water instead of soil to grow plants. The commonly adopted types of Hydroponic Growing Systems are Aeroponic System, Drip System, Ebb and Flow System, Nutrient Film technique System, Water Culture System, Wick System and so on. There are a number of Hydroponics Systems available in the market provided by top brands. But because of its high cost, many people are opting for a Home Hydroponics System and it has given them great results too.
Now to build a Home Hydroponics System you will require the following:
1. A Reservoir – A reservoir is a container to store the nutrient solution. The nutrient solution is a mixture of water with all the nutrients needed for the plants. The Home Hydroponics System should be build in such a way that the plants get constant nutrients solution. Air pumps and Nutrient Pumps are used to ensure this.
2. Growing Chamber – The Growing Chamber homes the roots and it is very essential in a Home hydroponic System. Bigger chamber should be built if you are growing plants with bigger roots. The ultimate purpose of the growing chamber is to ensure that all the roots get the essential nutrients which will help the plants to grow healthier and faster.
3. Grow Lights – Ample lighting should be provided for your plants for their growth and development. Lighting is very essential for the conduct of the process photosynthesis. You can keep your Home Hydroponics System in a place where the plants gets sufficient sunlight. But for those who do not have such facility, then you have the option of providing artificial lighting to your plants. In this case you need to setup the artificial lighting equipment. However Natural lightings are way preferred than Artificial Lighting. Use the natural lighting for most part of the year and for seasons and for winter seasons you can take the help of artificial lighting.
4. Pumps – Air pumps and Nutrients pumps are used to make sure that the water and nutrients are pumped up to the growing chamber for the roots of the plants. Pumps for a Home Hydroponic System are available in a majority of the garden supplies stores for a cheaper rate. Just make sure that you buy the pumps with filters and it is also important to clean both the pumps and the filters regularly.
5. Timer – A timer is required to monitor and control the movements of the pumps. You can set the timer to ensure that the right amount of water is pumped in and the excess water is pumped out. In this way you can make sure that your plants won’t receive excess of nutrients that will damage them.
6. Plastic tubes – Plastic tubes are used to connect the pumps to the chambers. The nutrient solution is pumped up to the growing chamber and pumped down to the reservoir using these plastic tubes. The preferred plastic tubes are PVC tubes, Vinyl Tubes and Irrigation tubes.
You can grow fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers and so on in a Home Hydroponic System. Fruits like grapes, watermelon, pineapples, banana, lemons, tomatoes and the varieties of berries can be grown well on a Home Hydroponic System. Some of the vegetables that can be grown on a Home Hydroponic System are cabbages, celery, parsnips, potatoes, beans, Brussels sprouts, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, peas, rhubarb, yams, onions, eggplants, broccoli, radishes and so on. The flowers usually blossom well in particular seasons but with the Home Hydroponic system you can grow any flower at any time of the year. All you need to ensure that the plants get the right amount of lighting and nutrients whenever required. Also using water instead of soil for growing plants is an added advantage with the hydroponic system. This is mainly because you don’t have to go hunt for the different type of soils for the different plants as you can do all within the water environment. Herbs like oregano, spearmint, peppermint, thyme, basil, coriander, rosemary, sorrel, tarragon and so on can be grown healthier and quicker with the Home Hydroponics System.